Sunday, May 27, 2018

To Books & Our Friends: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows

It's been said that things are never quite as scary when you've got your best friend. It's safe to say that my bestie and I have charted through some very emotional waters together--deaths of dear friends, family and pets; crazy relationships that went a muck; children we love who deeply struggled; and drama with our careers (this one is an understatement, but we won't get into that....)  So, when I started reading this week's book I was once again reminded how truly blessed I am to have a lot of amazing friends in my life. The primary theme of "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows is this: with friends in our life we can live through anything.

"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" has a delightful, two-part thrifting story.  I was initially introduced to this book when a family friend reached out to me on Facebook and said that she had this delightful book which she'd purchased at a thrift store and I had to read it.  She and I have very similar tastes in books so I was excited to read it.  As soon as I posted the cover on social media all sorts of friends went crazy about how much they loved this book.  Again, I was the lady who thought, "Oh, well, clearly I missed the memo when this came out so thank you to good friends who can bring me in the loop." When my friend delivered the book, it was winter and I was still working through some solid seasonal blues and had just finished two really heavy World War II books.  Because of that, this World War II story was set aside for a bit until I was ready to dive back in to Hitler world.  Fast forward to my training exodus in Helena, MT and I found a copy of the book at Goodwill! Score! I took it as a sign and finally sat down and read this treat-of-a-book.

The book is such a unique piece of writing because it is entirely made up of letters written between friends and associates. At first I thought I would hate it, but I most definitely did not.  After a few chapters I started to think ahead to what other characters might say.  The entire premise of the book starts with a newly published author named Julia Ashton writing letters to her agent and best friend.  She is finishing up a book tour and is awaiting her next writing assignment.  In her day job she is a reporter and she usually writes spotlight pieces on certain topics.  One day she receives a letter from a man name Dawsey Adams who purchased a used book with her name and address in it.  He writes her a letter and they soon correspond on a regular basis.  Not creepy at all...... It's like the 1940's version of Facebook Messenger, but sweet, innocent and totally adorable.  Dawsey soon begins to tell her about a literary society he was a member of during World War II in Guernsey on the Channel Islands.  This piques Juliet's interest and she decides to write an article about this society.

The rest of the book is learning about these quirky, delightful people through their letters to Julia for her research for the article.  It is wonderful.  There are so many different personalities and the reason they start this literary society is just hilarious.  The society is started because they have to cover up having an illegal pig roast during the War. When the Nazis show up (conveniently after they've ate the entire roast) at their house they tell a whopper fib that they have this "important literary society" meeting going on and manage to get away with it.  However, the only way they can keep the story going is by staging a book club so that if the Nazis ever show up to check their facts, they will find a quirky group of Brits enjoying literature.  This plan works relatively well and they all become the best of friends because they have to stick together to survive.

There were a lot of really sweet passages, but the line in the book which inspired my title was, "we clung to books and to our friends; they reminded us that we had another part to us." This is powerful.  How many times in our lives have we felt like the only glimmer of sunshine was a friend or group of friends who reminded us to laugh and pause to enjoy life? I can think of a few times in my own life when a friend has been at my doorstep to make me go out when I really just wanted to wallow in sadness or when I've been able to pack a bag, jump in my car and show up at my best friend's house because I needed new scenery and some fresh air to breathe.  We survive the hard stuff because of our friends.  Our families matter a ton as well, but some of us may not have solid family support to turn to and that's when the crazy friends who keep us laughing REALLY come in to play.

"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"  really touched my heart on a regular basis.  These people share such intimate details of their lives during the war, but then they also share the most hilarious stories about each other.  Another line I loved was referencing a character who assists a group of nurses at a war hospital.  The person writing the letter recounts the following.  She says, "the nurses were always kind, but Miss McKenna was kind AND funny.  Her being funny helped me in my darkest hour." This stopped me in my tracks for a minute as I remembered back to the many, many times that I've had people bring humor to my life when I was anything but laughing.  I also find great personal solace in humor when life is hard.  Living with depression means I legitimately have days when I just want to cry and give up, but if I can force myself to laugh I know I can make it through the day.  A little known fact about me is ... my sister and I have an on-going board on Pinterest entitled "Punny Goodness." Its primary role is to keep us laughing on the ultra shitty days. We started it when I lost my job last summer.  It's my sunshine and proof that I'm a TOTAL geek. Click HERE to see it.....and you're welcome.

My recommended reading group would be anyone who can read! This book is a must-have in your personal library.  It's truly cool lemonade on a hot summer's day!

The moral of the story: Friends are the family we get to choose so pick those who make you laugh so hard your guts hurt.

Happy reading, my amazing, geeky lovelies!
-R

Missed last week's book review? Click here to read it!



Like what you read above - purchase this book by clicking the Amazon link below! Thank you for reading The Thrifting Ginger.  

3 comments:

  1. That does sound like a delightful read! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw this sounds so sweet! I actually love books that are written in letter style. I also love the Pinterest board you and your sister share haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for re-sending this book review! The movie is outstanding. I just might have to read the book. I have a plane trip in October to Portland, so the return trip might be a good time to start it. I'll be too consumed by the business of my trip for the trip to Portland. Thanks again for re-sending this to me!!

    ReplyDelete