Sunday, June 3, 2018

The Magic of Second Chances: "Lost Lake" by Sarah Addison Allen

I've never been one to go to Barnes & Noble just to window shop for books.  Why, you ask? Because as soon as I start swooning over all the beautiful book covers then I want to buy all the books. And, let's be perfectly honest, I am so not a fan of paying full price for anything unless I know it is a book I will love forever and ever.  However, once upon a time, while I lived in Utah, I did camp out and scope books and that is how I stumbled upon books by Sarah Addison Allen.  I can't tell you the specifics, but I remember seeing the cover for her book "Garden Spells" (P.S. - AMAZING!) and decided I should give her books a shot.  That was the best decision ever and today I'm sharing book #2 by her that I've reviewed for this blog.  "Lost Lake" by Sarah Addison Allen was such a sweet story and it really gave me a new hope in giving people the benefit of the doubt and letting those you once loved have a second chance.

The thrifting story behind this book is one of second chances as well! One of my last adventures in Helena, MT during my training was "dropping by" a massive thrift store in another part of town than my hotel.  At first glance it seemed I wouldn't have much luck finding good books until I turned the corner and saw a massive book corner. Two hours and $25 bucks later I walked out of the building with quite the collection of books.....again.....The second chance element was this-- I had almost paid nearly full price for this book a few days earlier at another used book store and decided not to buy it.  I was very glad I had made that choice because the second time around it was $2. It's safe to say I'd go back to Helena just for the thrift stores, mountains and Chili's, but I digress.

As is customary with Sarah Addison Allen's books, "Lost Lake" takes place in the Deep South.  We are introduced to Kate and Devin, a mother-daughter duo, living in Atlanta, Georgia, who have recently lost their husband and father in a tragic accident.  Kate is waking from a year-long haze of emotional grief and her overbearing mother-in-law, Cricket, is packing up their home so they can move in with her.  Kate realizes that the future holds nothing that she wants for herself and Devin, but she's not sure how they are going to escape the wrath of someone who has been their saving grace for the past year.  Devin and Kate end up in the attic together as they pack their belongings and find an old postcard from Kate's Aunt Eby sent over a decade earlier.  The postcard is sent from a magical place called Lost Lake, a vacation property owned by Eby and her husband George. The postcard is inscribed with a note that strikes Kate as odd and spurs her to pack up for a road trip.

The reader soon discovers that George & Eby's love story is one that tugs at the heart strings.  They were star-crossed lovers, but from two completely different backgrounds; one wealthy and one middle-class.  They can't face the pressure of their families quarreling and invest in a magical oasis in the mountains.  Lost Lake becomes a refuge for all ages and Kate's last happy memory of her childhood was spent at Lost Lake.  The author did a fantastic job weaving both stories together (she's very good at that in her books) and brought so much emotion to life on the pages.

When Kate and Devin arrive at Lost Lake completely unannounced they find a sad, rundown property on the brink of being sold.  Kate is still unsure why she's felt the pull to Lost Lake after so many years, but she soon starts to figure it out. Her personal second chance includes a sweet love story that reminded me of some personal events in my life. It was really cute.

The supporting characters in the book are all really deep and truly delightful to read about. One of my favorite characters is the cook at Lost Lake who is mute.  Her name is Lisette. She has known Eby for a very long time and only communicates by writing on a notepad that hangs around her neck on a piece of string.  In spite of her inability to speak audibly, Lisette, is a really powerful force at Lost Lake and she brings an element of second chances that was very moving.  She has a story hiding in her past that has paralyzed her in her present which means she can't think about her future.  It was really sweet to watch her move forward with her insecurities and gave me a lot of food for thought about the power of love and the heartache of loss.

As I talked about in my last review of a Sarah Addison Allen book (LINK HERE), there is always an element of magic in her plot lines.  This book is no different, however, the magic is more the magic of imagination and the magic of healing in their hearts.  I thought it was very endearing that the magical element of the plot was given to Devin because it was a very child-like perspective and so sweet.  Devin is a free spirit who lives life in her own, mismatched way and she eventually convinces the family that she does have the answers to a few mysteries of life.  She is also the person who reminds each of the characters that the future is, in fact, bright and shouldn't be taken for granted.

My recommended reading group would be age 16 and above.  It's a good PG read, but does address mental health, death and grieving which may be a bit much for the younger audience.

The moral of the story: Never lose hope in saying good bye to someone you love because it just might be a true "see you later". Second chances happen.

Happy reading, my amazing, geeky lovelies!
-R

Missed last week's book review? Click here to read it!


More Books by Sarah Addison Allen

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a charming book, Raylynn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy reading how you acquire the books you review and your thrifting adventures! This book sounds so fun! :)

    ReplyDelete