Sunday, June 10, 2018

Little Shop of Happy-Ever-After: "The Bookshop on the Corner" by Jenny Colgan

Not many people know that my main reason for reading is to calm the crazy in my brain. Especially during the winter months, I really have to keep my brain waves moving or my bestie depression moves in for the season.  It sucks if she invites herself over any time of the year, but especially in the winter. Because of this, I go back and forth between books that are heavy and books that are happy, depending on my current mood.  No matter what, the book has to transport my mind into the plot in such a way that I feel like I'm watching a movie in my head.  When this phenomenon occurs, it's truly magical. I create my own little world and envision the characters and how they interact with each other.  That is why I read. When I purchased "The Bookshop on the Corner" I was drawn to the endearing synopsis, but I had NO idea how much this book would transport me in to my own little happily-ever-after world.  And did I mention it includes a dishy Scotsman? Be still my heart....especially when he looks and sounds like my boyfriend Gerard Butler....

"The Bookshop on the Corner" by Jenny Colgan takes place in Scotland.  The main character is named Nina Redmond. Nina is faced with some hard luck in her career and decides that she is going to move to the north country, buy a massive van and start a mobile book store.  That might sound like a relatively simple task, but Nina soon finds out it is not.  Nina is a bit of a hot mess when she starts her journey and gets herself in a situation with the local train. Every train must have a conductor and Nina becomes overnight-smitten with the young train conductor. She is convinced he is her forever, happily ever after and makes excuses to see him on a regular basis.  To pay homage to her "true love" she names her mobile shop the "Little Shop of Happy Ever After." The shop is a sweet success and Nina begins to learn powerful life lessons from the members of her new community.

As I mentioned earlier, this book included a dishy (but super grumpy) Scotsman that I fell head-over-heals for after a bit.  Yet again, the quiet, complicated male character is my favorite.  Lennox is Nina's newly-unattached landlord and a gruff, local farmer with a few of his own secrets.  Nina rents a high-society-style loft (inconveniently decorated by Lennox' newly ex-lover) over the barn of Lennox' farm so they are in very close proximity a LOT. Lennox lives a mysterious, quiet life and Nina is annoyed by his demeanor and blunt attitude toward her infatuation for the train conductor. He sees her sneaking out at night to go meet the train and calls her out on it and the tension just builds. I loved their interactions together and they have some really sweet scenes.  As Lennox starts to open up to Nina she starts to feel things in her heart that leave her confused and wondering if she might actually have feelings for this grumpy lad.

There were so many unexpected, yet happy elements of this story. As Nina starts to befriend locals she is also introduced to their children. She begins having story time and has a bond with two particular children that really struck a chord for me. She takes these two children under her wing and helps them feel loved and cared for in ways that they aren't getting at home. I loved the dialogue between Nina and these children because it reminds me of the amazing little humans I get to work with every day.  Nina has a way of bringing out the best in these children and it's really sweet to notice their progression throughout the story.

As it is in non-fiction world, Nina comes to a point when she has to face the reality of life not being perfect no matter how hard she tries. She will still have heartbreak even when she's doing what she loves. This was something I could relate to as well.  I've experienced some big life changes in the last 12 months that came with their own set of trauma and heartache, but I've also found so much peace with where I'm working and living currently.  There is so much power in knowing that you're in the right spot.  That's how Nina feels and she eventually finds solace in the right people and activities.

This book had the most delightful ending....like I may have hugged the book when I finished reading it. ...maybe. The author did such an amazing job at subtly leading up to the climactic event and I was so pleased when it finally happened.  Just plain magic. This book was 100% happiness for my brain and I was so grateful to have found it in a used book store in Helena, MT.  The cover was a little "meh" but the book was completely the opposite.

My recommended reading group would be age 16 and above.  It's a PG-13 read with adult relationships and their challenges.

The moral of the story: Happily ever after is what you make it and that will always include a LOT of work, but it's worth it!!

Happy reading, my amazing, geeky lovelies!
-R

Missed last week's book review? Click here to read it!



Other Books by Jenny Colgan

2 comments:

  1. This story sounds really adorable and I definitely have to get my hands on it soon. I'm a sucker for happily ever afters haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I’ve read this before. Seems really familiar.

    ReplyDelete