Monday, May 16, 2022

April 2022 Books Read


Hi friends! I hope April brought you joy, laughter and some good books.  April was a little cray in the Big Sky Country and we experienced some INTENSE Mother Nature on her Menses with two large snow storms and temperatures that did not spell spring.  For a lot of reasons, I had a tough month, but I did manage to listen to some really fantastic books which made up for the mediocre books I read.  So, let's get on with the good stuff, shall we?

*2022 Audiobook Challenge* : News of the World by Paulette Jiles:  I have been counting down the days until it was time to listen to this book.  I recently watched the movie adaptation and LOVED it, but it's been almost 5 years since I read the book and I was excited to hear it instead of reading it.  This book is absolutely incredible and further supported my theory that books that moved me while I read them are an even better gift when I hear them.  Reading the book vs. listening to it were both "edge of my seat" moments and I didn't want it to stop.  The book is about a veteran Civil War officer, Captain Kidd, who agrees to take a young girl named Johanna back to her people after being raised by the Kiowa tribe.  I read the book before I became a child welfare worker and when I listened to it I felt such empathy for this child.  I understood her struggle to find her normal on such a deeper level.  I can't recommend this book enough, especially if you're looking for a book that teaches about bonding and the benefits that come in bonding with people who protect us whether they are biological or not.  This book is Rated R for violence.  

The Family by Naomi Krupitsky: This book was a carry-over from March and I was so hopeful there could be some March Mafia, but alas, that didn't happen.  The Family is a great coming-of-age book that follows the story of two best friends whose Dads are members of the mafia.  They both live very different lives, but have the glaring similarity in the middle and that is the devotion to "the institution." It was an interesting while equally unnerving read.  I could wax eloquent on the negative effects of control, but I'll let you read it and make you're own judgement.  Definitely rated R for violence and adult themes centered around being killed if you sneeze wrong.  

Victoria by Daisy Goodwin:  This was the unexpected surprise of the month.  We all know the story about Queen Victoria and Price Albert, but how much do you REALLY know about everything that happened before they were married?  I've seen the movie "Young Victoria" and done my fair share of royals history homework, but this book brought an entirely new perspective.  Partway through I had to stop and google a few things because I thought, "it can not be this tragic and she loved him that much!" It made me realize how safety can equate love, but that doesn't mean the relationship is plausible.  Rated PG 13 for adult themes and difficult events.  

The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgerton Series Book 2) by Julia Quinn: Remember when the first season of Bridgerton came out and the media started saying it was the regency show you didn't watch with your grandmother?  Well....the audiobook puts a skip in our saunter, let me tell you what.  It was a DARLING story line and I really enjoyed the differences in the book vs. the 2nd season of Bridgerton.  I LOVED the strong-willed sisters who play more mind games than sloppy passion antics with Anthony.  Just delish.  I know my family members are faithful readers of my blog so I'll just say this.....rated "not your cup of tea, Mom. Period." 

Better Luck Next Time by Julia Clairborne Johnson: After reading about Kate & Anthony and all the goodness, I was in the mood for historical fiction, but a different era of rompy.  This book is about a divorcee dude ranch in Reno during the 1920s and 1930s.  I know you're thinking "group orgies for the rebounding debutantes" but it was way more than that.  The book had it's share of tryst story lines, but it also had a lot of really good dialogue about women learning they could survive life without a man who was abusive, but wealthy.  I enjoyed the premise and the other surprise was a male narrator.  It's totally worth a listen or a gander.  Rated PG-13 for adult themes and some rebound sex.  

Bowlaway by Elizabeth McCracken: Weird book about bowling that almost made my eyes bleed and I'm so sorry to be a downer with this one, but it was just not my favorite.  It had such stellar reviews and I didn't see the point of any of them.  I'll let you decide for yourself on this one.  

As Bright as Heaven by Susan Meissner: Ended April with one of my favorite authors.  This book was so beautifully written and it took a bit for me to enjoy it, then I was HOOKED and then it ended.  The plot includes a solid dose of death due to the Spanish flu and reminded me of a lot of tough battles we experienced when the COVID-19 pandemic was in full swing.  If you lost a loved one to COVID, this is not the book for you to read because it will likely be a trigger.  The family does walk away from the struggles of grief a little bit stronger, but there is a lot of dialogue about death and dying and what is left behind.  There is also a sweet love story or 2 weaved in that makes it bearable.  This book is Rated R for descriptive details about death, sickness and loss.  

As is par for the course, April was a random bunch of audiobooks and hard copy books.  Having this blog up and running again has helped keep me on track even more and it's fun to write about them within a short period of time from finishing them.  We shall see what May has in store for all of you nerdy book lovers! 

Until next time, my lovelies!
-R


  



 

1 comment:

  1. That was quite a line-up of books, Raylynn!! Way to go.

    ReplyDelete